Who should attend
Anyone who has to take notes at meetings, interviews, disciplinary hearings or deal with complex telephone messages and would like to do so with greater speed and accuracy.
- By the end of the course participants will be able to:
- Explain the principles of speed writing and how it differs from traditional shorthand
- Recognise different word types and how to create abbreviations
- Take notes faster and more efficiently at meetings, interviews etc.
- Use handy tips for taking telephone messages and improve listening skills
- Course Content
- Introduction to speed writing
- Common abbreviations and shortcuts
- Explanation of different word group categories
- Omitting silent letters and vowels
- Making standard abbreviations for words or terminology frequently used in own workplace
- Creating and using abbreviations for common prefixes
- Tips for taking telephone messages
- Good listening habits
- Preparing to take notes at meetings and interviews
- Identifying compound words and how to abbreviate them
- Creating and using abbreviations for common suffixes
- Practical exercises to build up familiarity and speed
- Personal action notes
This course will be run at the Edinburgh Training and Conference Venue, which is situated in the centre of Edinburgh, just 5 minutes walk from Waverley Station and close to major bus routes, including the airport bus. Discounted parking is available at the St John's Hill NCP Car Park. Our training rooms are light and spacious, all are air conditioned with natural daylight.
Complimentary breakfast and lunch will provided, as well as tea and coffee throughout the day. If you've got any special dietary requirements just let us know, ideally in advance, and we will be pleased to cater for them. Our team will be there on the day to make sure everything goes smoothly. If there's anything you need please ask, because "If we Can we Will".