FACTOIDS | 3 MIN READ
Keeping in theme with the history of Edinburgh, the building that the Edinburgh Training and Conference Venue occupy has a Grade B listed building status. According to Historic Environment Scotland a Grade B listing is a “building of special architectural or historic interest which are major examples of a particular period, style or building type.”
Prior to the redevelopment, St Mary’s Street, formerly St Mary’s Wynd, was essentially a slum – living conditions were critical in the early 19th century being called the worst slum in Europe due to the lack of sanitary standards. This paved the way from the 1867 Edinburgh Improvement Act involving the clean-up of 34 areas of the Old Town.
Cousin & Lessels were the two appointed architects to the City Improvement Trust which saw the redevelopment of parts of the Old Town with St Mary’s Street being one area. In 1867, the wynd was widened by removing all the buildings on the east side and it was renamed St Mary’s Street. The new buildings were intended for workers and artisans, specifically created to keep away the previous residers who were too poor to afford the rent.
The entirety of St Mary’s Street is considered as a Grade B listings to maintain the Scots Baronial tenement style and periodic building type. In the effort to preserve the building, we have carried out extensive work to the roof and stonework over the last two years to ensure it is wind and watertight.