Sam’s pick-me-up carrot cupcakes
Why not try these tasty moist carrot cupcakes that I just love to make as a Spring time treat. I make mini versions as a bite-size treat for our delegates and they are a real pick me up!
One day after making the ever-popular carrot and coriander soup, I had a few spare carrots left over. Rather than having them go to waste, I put together my own version of the classic carrot cake and they were so popular they’ve become a rotating staple of our home baking options and a firm favourite amongst delegates …and staff!
They are super quick and easy, and other than the walnuts you’ll probably find the rest of the ingredients in your kitchen cupboards.
|PREP AND COOK TIME:||EFFORT LEVEL:||SERVES:|
|1 hour 15 minutes||Easy||Makes 12 cupcakes|
For the cake:
- 3 eggs
- 225g self-raising flour
- 220g firmly packed brown sugar
- 6 roasted walnuts, halved
- 90g roasted pecans, coarsely chopped
- 480g coarsely grated carrot
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 125ml vegetable oil
For the icing:
- 30g softened butter
- 200g icing sugar
- 80g cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons of maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a pan with cupcake cases.
- For the cake, sift the flour, sugar and mixed spice into a bowl and combine with the oil and eggs.
- Fold in the carrots and chopped nuts.
- Divide the mixture between the cases, and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until slightly golden.
- Whilst you leave the cakes to cool, make the icing. Beat together the butter, cream cheese and syrup in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Gradually beat in sifted icing sugar – the mixture should be spreadable. Spread the icing onto the cooled cupcakes and top with a whole nut or a sugar carrot.