Sam’s spicy carrot and ginger soup
A few years ago I was invited to dinner at a friend’s house – also a Chef by trade, who owns several Indian Restaurants in Edinburgh. That evening he prepared the most mouth watering spiced carrot and ginger soup, a recipe from his hometown of Kottayam. I have never tried anything so delicious and warming with a hint of spice!
Although I was given the main ingredients, like KFC I wasn’t allowed to know his secret ingredient! For months I tried many different combinations until I had finally created my own mouth-watering soup – which I’ll share with you now, along with my own secret ingredient …you won’t be disappointed!
|PREP AND COOK TIME:||EFFORT LEVEL:||SERVES:|
|35 minutes||Easy||6 – 8 people|
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 10cm piece of root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 750g carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Sam’s secret ingredient – a pinch of all-spice
- Using a large saucepan, gently sauté the onion and Sam’s secret ingredient (a pinch of all-spice) in olive oil over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and ginger and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and simmer for 10 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Liquidise the soup in the pan with a hand-held blender. Serve and enjoy!
- Serve with a drizzle of créme fraiche or a dollop of Greek yoghurt, then sprinkle with very thinly sliced spring onions or chopped fresh chives.
- To really finish it off, add an Italian and Mint Crostini. Simply toast some rustic Italian bread, mix some ricotta cheese with garden mint and petits-pois to go on top, drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and add a handful of fresh pea shoots.