Sam’s spicy carrot and ginger soup
A few years ago I was invited to dinner at a friend’s house – also a Chef by trade, who owns several Indian Restaurants in Edinburgh. That evening he prepared the most mouth watering spiced carrot and ginger soup, a recipe from his hometown of Kottayam. I have never tried anything so delicious and warming with a hint of spice!
Although I was given the main ingredients, like KFC I wasn’t allowed to know his secret ingredient! For months I tried many different combinations until I had finally created my own mouth-watering soup – which I’ll share with you now, along with my own secret ingredient …you won’t be disappointed!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 10cm piece of root ginger, peeled and finely chopped
- 750g carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Sam’s secret ingredient – a pinch of all-spice
- Using a large saucepan, gently sauté the onion and Sam’s secret ingredient (a pinch of all-spice) in olive oil over a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots and ginger and continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes.
- Pour in the stock and simmer for 10 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Liquidise the soup in the pan with a hand-held blender. Serve and enjoy!
TOP TIPS: Serve with a drizzle of créme fraiche or a dollop of Greek yoghurt, then sprinkle with very thinly sliced spring onions or chopped fresh chives. To really finish it off, add an Italian and Mint Crostini. Simply toast some rustic Italian bread, mix some ricotta cheese with garden mint and petits-pois to go on top, drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and add a handful of fresh pea shoots.