Sam’s sesame miso chicken with sweet and sour salad
Sam first made this dish at home with his wife after they were fed up with the usual chicken dishes. He came across the recipe in the Olive magazine and decided to slightly adapt it and prepare it for delegates in the Venue, which turned out to be a huge hit!
The dish is great as it moves away from using chicken breasts and instead uses thighs as they are more succulent and juicy. All the flavours from the chicken, the sweet and sour salad and rice all complement each other, you wouldn’t be disappointed.
|PREP AND COOK TIME:||EFFORT LEVEL:||SERVES:|
|30 minutes||Easy||Serves 2 people|
- miso paste 1 tbsp
- soy sauce 1 tbsp
- golden caster sugar 4 tsp
- sesame oil 2 tsp
- rice vinegar 2 tbsp
- skinless chicken thigh fillets 4, halved
- carrots 2, peeled and cut into strips
- cucumber 1/2, seeds scraped out and cut into strips
- radishes 10, finely sliced
- cooked brown basmati rice 250g
- Mix the miso, soy, 2 tsp of sugar, 1 tsp of sesame oil and 1 tbsp of vinegar in a bowl and toss with the chicken. Leave for 15 minutes.
- Heat the rest of the sugar with the vinegar until dissolved, cool, then toss with the veg.
- Heat the grill to hot. Cook the chicken turning regularly, until sticky, glazed and cooked though, about 10 minutes. Toss the cooked rice with the rest of the sesame oil then serve with the chicken and salad.
- Instead of plain basmati rice, you can also use brown basmati or prepare egg fried rice for extra flavour
- Why not switch up the salad by using your favourite veg! Peppers, carrots and baby corn are a brilliant combination too.