Sam’s vegan burger
Sunshine always brings a smile to my face. It reminds me of when I first tried these halloumi burgers a few years back at my friend Tahan’s bbq. It was a beautiful sunny day and the burgers were a real treat.
The combination of salty grilled halloumi, sweet red pepper and earthy mushroom are just heavenly. Needless to say they are a big hit with our delegates and staff here at the ETCV.
|PREP AND COOK TIME:||EFFORT LEVEL:||SERVES:|
|1 hour 20 minutes||Easy||Serves 4 people|
- 4 Large Portobello mushrooms
- 1pkt Halloumi cheese sliced into 4
- 100g Hummus
- 4 Brioche buns (halved horizontally)
- 1 Beef tomato (sliced into 4)
- 70g Rocket
- 2 Gherkin (halved)
- 1/2 Red onion (sliced into rings)
- 2 Small red peppers (halved)
- 1 Washed Baby Gem lettuce (bottom removed and leaves separated)
- Seasoning1 tablespoon olive oil
Home made Peri Peri wedges
- 340g Potatoes, washed, cut into wedges
- 1 tbsp Extra-Virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Peri Peri spice blend (I use Schwartz)
- ¼ Small white cabbage (shredded)
- 1 Carrot (grated)
- 1 Small onion (shredded)
- 1 tbs Sultanas
- 1 tbs Chopped dried apricots
- 3 tbs Mayonnaise
Heat the oven to 220°C/fan 200°C/gas mark 7
- Put the shredded cabbage, onion, grated carrot and dried fruit in a large bowl.
- Combine with mayonnaise and seasoning.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
Homemade Peri Peri wedges
- Toss potatoes and olive oil together on a baking sheet until evenly coated.
- Sprinkle spice blend over top, turning potatoes to coat.
- Repeat with seasoning.
- Spread potatoes evenly on the baking sheet and bake for 40 minutes.
- Spray a large griddle pan with oil and heat to medium-high.
- Cook the mushrooms and pepper disks for 5 minutes on each side or until tender, then remove to a plate.
- Grill the halloumi slices and the inside of the brioche buns for 1 minute on each side or until lightly charred/browned.
- Spread the hummus over the bottom half of each brioche bun.
- Layer 2 baby gem lettuce leaves on each bun, top with a slice of beef tomato, grilled mushroom, grilled pepper, red onion and a slice of gherkin.
- Add the grilled halloumi slice and some rocket and top with the other half of the brioche bun.
- Spiced potato wedges are a great accompaniment to these tasty burgers.
- I like to use a floury potato like Maris Piper or Russet as they are perfect for baking in the oven. Crispy on the outside and incredibly fluffy on the inside.